...see our news page for UPDATES...
Halloween can be a pretty frightening time for our pets.
With all the excitement around at this time of year it’s easy to overlook potential hazards, leaving pets vulnerable. Let's keep your pets safe this Halloween with the following tips...
It's really important to keep treats in pet-proof containers and rubbish in a secure bin. There are many foods we eat that can be dangerous to pets.
Whilst we love chocolate, it poses a significant toxic hazard to dogs and cats. In general the higher the cocoa content the more toxic the chocolate.
Xylitol can be found in sugar free products i.e. chewing gum and ready meals. Xylitol causes an increase in insulin followed by a drop in blood sugar and hypoglycaemia.
Onions are included in many of our favourite foods, and these can cause issues with the red blood cells leading to anaemia. This includes all of the onion family - leeks, chives, spring onions are also dangerous.
The whole grape family (raisins, sultanas, dried or fresh) can affect dog’s kidneys but symptoms aren’t always visible until it’s too late.
The food we throw away will always be tempting to dogs but mouldy food is particularly dangerous as it can contain mycotoxins especially in dairy products and bread.
Naked flames, wagging tails and whiskers don’t mix well. Candle decorations, glowsticks, ribbons, sequins and beads should all be kept out pf reach of inquisitive pets who might burn or choke on such items.
Dressing up your pet can be fun and fabulous, but could mean they struggle to behave normally, causing disorientation, stress and panic. If your pet looks stressed or uncomfortable in an outfit, don't do it!
Keep pets indoors on nights where there may be lots of activity outside such as fireworks and trick-or-treaters. Building a den for your pet gives them somewhere to hide when they feel worried.
Despite our best efforts, accidents can still happen. If you spot your pet behaving strangely, or they start to display symptoms that you are worried about, e.g. being unsteady on their feet, vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties or seizures... call us immediately on 01858 462 839